Thursday, October 05, 2006

Impressions of Xlendi Bay

This is for all the ones out there that love Xlendi Bay, Gozo... and of course for the ones that still have to fall in love with it.
Xlendi (pronouced Shlendi) holds a special place in my heart. 20 years ago, it was the first time I came to Gozo and we stayed at this little sea side resort. No matter how many times I've come here though, it still keeps amazing me: the gorgeous bay with sparkling azure water sourrounded by high cliffs, is really an amazing sight.
On my last visit, I strolled around Xlendi and managed to snap some images. Here they are:


Paralell to the promenade is a small trail that follows close by the sea. There are benches everywhere to stop and enjoy the amazing view.

Yeah, you don't have to eat everyday at the hotel's restaurant. Instead you can have your breakfast on one of these neat picnick tables.


The main view of the promenade and St. Patricks Hotel.


You just have to love the old stone buildings. They ooze so much atmosphere. In the morning and late afternoon you can actually witness how two old ladies practice their tradition of maltese lace making. When you visit, have a look right by that white door.



At the front you'll find many small restaurant and bars.


Some typical Maltese fishing boats which most of the time will take tourists around the bay.


Lots of activity by the sea


Another view of the stunning cliffs. Actually, I took this image because I saw a person standing on one of them and I was wondering how he got up there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These pics are beautiful, Jess! For me Xlendi means pretty much the same as for you... My first 3 holidays in 1983/4 I spent there, then I lived in Xlendi for a whole year when I moved to Gozo. For me, Xlendi = holiday. And that's where I go when I'm in need of a break!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Lovely pictures Jessica. Xlendi is a lovely place. When I used to live in Gozo we would go and look for capers on the sides of the little path to the tower. The mother of my boyfriend showed me how to pick the little "flowerbuds".

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessi!

Hat mein Monitor einen Farbstich, oder hast Du den Schieberegler mit blau zu weit nach rechts geschoben?

:-)

Gruß
Knud

Anonymous said...

Reading your views on winebars, I must say how pleased i was to read about Ta' Marku' Kafe'/Winebar in naxxar. We are regulars at Ta'Marku' and you shod pay a visit now, since you visit last year, this plas has gone up the lader so much that weekends you need to book, otherwise you shold join the que. The menu is always good and they have more then one speciality of the day. You are always made so welcome by the charming staff. When you're there you feel you are at a friends house. I surely reccommend this place to everybody to try it.

Ta' Marku cafe', Sqaq Nr6, triq santa lucija, naxxar.