Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Revelation about the Maltese language

As a few of you know, I have lately taken up evening classes to learn Maltese. Now that I made the final move to come here for good I thought it's about time I learned it! For years I have been trying to catch some few phrases but I guess it's just hopeless when you live in a country where everybody speaks English as his second language. It's just too tempting to keep a conversation going in English instead of trying to reply in broken Maltese, which would also demand a lot of patience on both sides. On the other hand, while everyone is socializing and cracking up about jokes, I have to try to figure out what has been said. Thank God, the Maltese are so friendly and will translate everything for you. Usually a conversation goes like this: "Jessica, wait a second, I will say it first in Maltese and then I translate it to you!" Then everybody is laughing their behinds off until my questioning eyes will draw the attention back to me and someone will make the neccessary translation. Which is actually not so bad because like this I managed to catch up a bit and I always make a point to ask what certain words mean. To be honest though, the Maltese language has been tough on me. Not only because it's a complete mesh of different kinds of languages mixed up together but because I am missing the basics that I can only get in school. So this year I've gotten serious on this matter and signed up with the Education Department. The Maltese government offers its citizens a very inexpensive way to further studies and there are hundreds of interesting courses to choose from. I think i will be quite busy for the next few years taking courses such as "How to set up your own business", "graphic design", and several Art classes. If you like more information on this CLICK HERE.

The other great part about evening classes is that you get to know other people. Especially if you are a foreigner deciding to reside in Malta it will help you building up a network and it is also very reassuring to talk to people who have made similar experiences as yourself (as in the case of learning Maltese). Sometimes, we all crack up in class by our different accents and bad pronounciation.. but hey it's fun! I really admire Grego, who has just recently moved to Malta and is actually practicing his Maltese daily without having taken classes (I guess, its due to him being multi-linguism). By the way, his blog is a great read, very informative (check out the section about the Maltese language) and so funny at the same time!!!
Anyway, yesterday in class I had the weirdest revelation. In fact we are not all foreigners learning Maltese but we also a Maltese person in class. Yep, I know. What is a Maltese doing in a Maltese language beginners course? I was wondering the same thing. As I have found out not all Maltese people speak their mother tongue since they have grown up speaking English at home, at school and with friends. I know it sounds quite weird not to know your mother tongue but Maltese people were and still are very much influenced from the times when their country was an English colony. There are also many marriages that are between a Maltese person and a foreign person. So I guess at home the family will communicate in English rather than in Maltese.
I learned as well that there are quite a few number of "pure" Maltese people that were raised in this sort of English-speaking environment and today hold very high government positions. I guess it really boils down to the fact that Malta is very small nation compared to other countries, was an Englsh colony for ages, and English just sipped through. Not to forget that it is actually the second official language of the country. Due to its tiny size, many Maltese also call Italian their third language. I think it's so great to grow up with more than one language but then again it is quite strange, especially for people who don't know Malta, to imagine that they are people that do not know how to speak their own language properly.
I guess, it also depends in what part of Malta you live... yep that's right! Yeah I know, I just said Malta is tiny. But still it makes a difference in which part of the island you were raised or in what town you live. For example, the area around Sliema is known for its "snobbish" English speaking Maltese people. Yep, there you will find people that prefer English as their language and only mix in a few Maltese words from time to time. More in the South, in the harbour area people mainly speak Maltese and know sometimes little English (especially the older generation). The people on Gozo then again have their own specific dialect that make them sound so different from the rest of the nation. Don't get me wrong though, I am generalzing here and more and more of the Maltese population gets all mixed up together and you wouldn't tell where someone is from. What is striking though and you'll notice it when reading the newspaper or talking to people, is that lately there has been a strong Maltese sentiment going on. Like a "going back to the roots" and people are starting to actually appreciate and find pride in their own language. That comes as no surprise to me, since your language is your identity and that is exactly what the Maltese, as a tiny nation, want to keep alive for themselves and for their cultural survival!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the compliments! This is a very well-written piece that tells a lot about the quirks of language in Malta. I will link to it (if I can figure out how to do it). This is the only country I've been to where the natives will actually apologise to foreigners for speaking their native language! I would also add that often times it does feel like Maltese is given a secondary status by the Maltese themselves. For example, labels on food and medicines are only in English, films are not subtitled into Maltese, many adverts are English-only. However, Maltese remains the main language for conversations. I have been learning with books, and I definitely need practice talking... maybe I should hang out with your class. Congratulations on learning the language! We are setting a good example for foreigners who move here :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica, it's Andy from the Maltese class... I was looking for blogs about Malta and suddenly I thought Hey, I know this person! Anyway, this is a really interesting post. I agree with you about the new sentiment that seems to be growing, where locals want to use Maltese more and more, even though English is also an official language here. However, I know a few Maltese people at work who say they prefer English because it "sounds nicer". I guess there will always be a debate, and I think Maltese will be strengthened by being an official EU language. Anyway, nice to see your blog, hope the homework is going OK!

Anonymous said...

I am as Maltese as they come but I don't speak Maltese and barely understand it. I have lived in Australia most of my life and very few 2nd generation people speak the language. Also I have noticed that the Maltese used in broadcasts here is nothing like domestic Maltese used by my parents. The accent is different, and the vocabulary highly Italianate. What use is Malti anyway?

Julian said...

What use is Malti?! The Maltese language, of course, is of little international use, but like all languages, regardless of how many native speakers thereof their are, is indispensible for national identity. I think it’s pretty fantastic that a tiny island has its own language, it’s something to boast about. Language bonds people, there's no doubt about that, and considering how few people speak the language, imagine how much more that would serve to unite. You also have to consider the aesthetics of language. I find Maltese quite pleasant-sounding. If you want to here why Maltese is useful, I would rather call it valuable, by a master of the language, read the poem entitled "Ghaliex," meaning 'Why' by Malta's national poet Dun Karm. I myself speak the language, given to me by my mother. I am so happy she did, I speak it with her everyday. It's one thing that we have that no one else I know has (I speak it with no one but her). I'm grateful that she handed down the language to me, we live in Toronto, Ontario, and rarely do you find 2nd generation immigrants able to speak the language of their parents. Man Maltese rocks, seriously!

dwardu said...

Great article! I feel lucky to have discovered it :)

Anonymous, what use is Malti? Not much in Australia I suppose. But in Malta… are you serious?

Although I can speak and write in several foreign languages, including English, in none of them will I ever be able to express myself as precisely as I do in Maltese. I suppose it’s the same for you with English…

Anonymous said...

I personally think that there are many advantages in learning a foreign language. For a start you will learn grammar. Grammar is no longer taught in many schools. Secondly you will also learn about the history and culture of the native speakers. The Maltese have a very rich and ancient culture and if one learns Maltese he would be able to appreciate it much more. Furthermore, I would like to point out to those interested in learning Maltese, that there are some interesting Maltese courses on the internet. All you have to do is go to Google and type Maltese course. These courses would be an extra useful resource to Maltese classes.

Karmenu

Bryce Wesley Merkl said...

This is a very interesting blog. I love reading about your experiences in Malta. I hope your classes in Maltese go well.

Here is a great site for practicing your Maltese:

Malti wiki browser

Anonymous said...

anybody want more information on maltese please e-mail me on rscerri@onvol.net and i would be very happy to help

Ranier.
Malta.