Sunday, September 17, 2006

Maltese Summer Nights


If there is one thing I love to do on a beautiful Maltese summers' night, then it is to stroll by the sea, take time to contemplate and notice all the small things in life. I love watching children playing on the streets or swimming in the sea, taking their last dive before being called to dinner by nanna (Grandma).
In summer, it seems as if the Maltese live in the open. When you walk down Xemxija Bay you'll notice families and friends sitting together just outside their home while the sun is slowly setting. A lot just bring some chairs from inside, sit by the promenade and chat the night away. Somehow this always reminds me of a better world and I might be a bit nostalgic but I guess, these were the things that made me fall in love with the island in the first place and I'm glad that after all these years I'm still able to notice and appreciate it.

One day, my sister, Mark, and I came home from a day trip on the sea and as we stirred our boat inside the little bay, there were children still playing in the water. It was already getting dark and here they were jumping between the boats, cat fighting with each other and having a ball of a time while their families were preparing for the nights barbeque. From my sisters watchfull eyes I could read her thoughts because they were a reflection of mine. For a moment we were only observing, sipping in the atmosphere and admiring this way of life. In front of us was a generation of carefree and fearless children that seemed to be one with the element. It was magical and a world apart from our "big city life" upbringing. I couldn't stop wondering, if only our minds were a bit more freed of all those inhibitions and were just a little like those of the Maltese children... a bit more fearless and carefree in taking that days' last dive.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes Jessica, the pictures remind me of long ago when we lived in Gozo and enjoyed jumping from the rocks in Xlendi in that lovely sea and swimming around the fishing boats (luzzu's). Now I've been living in Holland again for many years but Gozo shall allways be part of me. Besides that I really wish I could offer our children that kind of fun!

Jessica C. Moritz said...

Hello Carin,

ahh you recognized where the image has been taken. You know Gozo so well! Isn't it beautiful there?! I love it too!

Anonymous said...

Hello Jessica,

Yes I recognized it immediately. Gozo is a lovely place to live. Do you live in Xlendi? We lived in Marsalforn, in Victoria and in Nadur.